Laid off?-You’ve been Rumpelstiltskined!
Rumpelstiltskin is a gnome like person who spins straw into gold! This is a German fairy tale so don’t expect to see a series on Netflix.
Rumpelstiltskin’s payment for the gold produced is your first child! To keep the gold and your first child you have to guess Rumpelstiltskin’s name.
Now, you are not a gnome, and you are not a Rumpelstiltskin!
However, you did spin straw into gold for your employer and expected employment in return.
Well, Rumpelstiltskin didn’t get the child in the end of the fairy tale and like Rumpelstiltskin, and even though you spun straw into gold for your employer – Your employer kept the gold and had other plans for you!
You have been Rumpelstiltskined!
There is an abundance of helpful information on the web, just Google “laid off” and you will see thousands of articles. I just want to recommend a few ideas because I have been in your shoes a few times. I know what might be going on in your head.
Right now, you are out of your comfort zone and concerned about the risks ahead! That is a normal feeling. How you prepare your mindset for dealing with being unemployed is the important factor.
6 quick tips to help you with dealing with being unemployed:
- First: Your Health—Mind and Body.
- It takes energy and a clear mind to focus of finding a job.
- DON’T deplete your energy by overeating or binging.
- Exercise – just 10 minutes a day will help relieve some of the stress.
- Talk to someone ….you are not alone!
- Just get it all out if you can with someone who will just listen.
- Get out the negative stuff
- Do a Brain Dump
- Everything you liked about the position and your company
- Your accomplishments
- How you achieved them
- How you collaborated with others
- This is important because you will be asked– so prepare now.
- Be accountable to yourself!
- Finding a job is a difficult on your own. Find someone who will say, “Did you do such and such today? How many jobs did you apply for today?
- Your accountability person can help you keep your plan and routine on track.
- Recalibrate your expectations:
- After you hit the apply button-don’t wait for a response –keep looking and applying.
- Companies take a while- maybe weeks to respond.
- “Keep growing to keep going”-John Maxwell (author and #1 leadership coach.
- Stay up on what is happening in your industry or area of interest.
In closing, think about this:
Currently there are over 11 million job openings and 5.3 million unemployed. Jobs are plentiful. 11 million job openings is more than 2 jobs available for each unemployed person! And not every unemployed person is looking! Therefore, there are more opportunities — your next job is out there!
If you are interested in more information, email me so we can do a 30-minute Zoom call. firstname.lastname@example.org OR
Check out our 1-on-1 Job Search Coaching Course by clicking: here.
I will be your coach-to support you and assist you in your search!